Designed From The Ground Up for Non-Faired Bikes
There is no doubt there has been a trend back towards naked bikes or bikes with minimal/bikini style fairings like street-fighters. Shark have acknowledged the need for better aerodynamics for riders of these bikes with the release of the Shark Speed-R Sauer.
One of the major issues with bikes that don’t have a full fairing is the wind noise and buffeting that occurs. The Speed-R helmet is an attempt to fix that by having a ‘double blade’ air spoiler.
The Speed-R has a double-blade air spoiler that is positioned at the rear of the helmet. This allows the air to flow above and below the blade. This extracts warm air from within the helmet and is labeled as the “dual venturi effect”. Stabilization and buffering is reduced by a rear base trim stabilizer. This helmet is constructed with long fiber carbon composites and meets or exceeds DOT and ECE 2205 safety standards.
- The Speed-R Sauer is available in two different shell sizes
- Approximate weight of this series size M helmet is 1450 g (+/– 50 g)
- The COOLMAX lining is removable and washable
- Shark Easy Fit glasses system offers a comfort lining to accommodate all types of eyewear
Structure and Design
- Latest generation ‘long fibre’ composite construction
- Integrated drop-down sun visor
- Extensive wind-tunnel testing to perfect aerodynamics and ventilation system for use with ‘naked’ road bikes
- Optically correct, scratch resistant and anti-fog coated faceshield
- Dual Venturi effect double blade air spoiler
- Rear base trim stabilizer
- Meets or exceeds ECE 2205 and DOT approval
- Designed to take the Shark Tooth bluetooth communications system
- Optically flat shield
- Price does represent value
- Features of the helmet rank highly in terms of fit and finish. It is a nice looking helmet.
- Shield lift latch is inadequate. Riders are having difficulty opening the visor with thicker gloves.
- Helmet is a bit on the noisy side in some riding positions. When the rider is upright it seems to work well; but not as well when riding in a more aggressive position.
I think it can be said that this helmet meets the requirements of enhanced stability and comfort at higher speeds for riders of naked and un-faired bikes. It is made to Shark’s usual high standards, and is certainly a step in the right direction with helmet aerodynamics.
Available in sizes XS – XL and in four different color designs. Check size availability as this is a HOT item and certain colors/sizes are currently out of stock:
Interested In Some Closeout Sale Deals?
While you’re thinking about the Shark Speed-R Sauer Helmet, you just may pick up a great bargain by scanning the closeout deals and sales currently on offer from Motorcycle Superstore, Revzilla Online or Cycle Gear Direct.
Prices/conditions valid at time of publication.
BTW: If you found this Shark Speed-R Sauer Helmet review helpful, why not give us the thumbs up on your favorite social media spot.